Skip to main content

Recommendation: Attend CodeMash

If you're anything like me, your responsibilities pull you in about 50 directions--all at once. This is especially true if you're in a technology career. For me, I maintain a list of goals surrounding my career which average around 10-12: figure out Oslo, get stronger with TFS...particularly Rosario, learn ASP.Net/C# 3.5, present technical topics often, maintain my certifications, keep my team happy and growing, etc.

Typically, it has been my experience during my 12+ year career that conferences--especially non-vendor-managed conferences are not a good use of my time. One ends up burning a day or two with travel ('cause they don't do conferences in the mid-west), the topics and sessions are hit-or-miss, and they're expensive.

CodeMash alleviates all of these shortcomings. Hosted right here in Ohio, the independent founders of CodeMash knocked one out of the park last year in their inaugural offering: logistics, price, content, speakers, SWAG, and organization. Overall, this 2-day regional conference delivered more value than most of the national or coastal events I've attended.

Living in Columbus, the 2.5 hour drive to Sandusky, OH and the Kalahari Water Resort is a piece of cake. Somehow, CodeMash charges under $200 negotiated an under-$100/night rate, and the food is sponsored. There are 42 sessions delivered by the best and brightest (ok, so they didn't pick me...one exception ;-) folks in Michigan/Ohio (predominately) we all know and enjoy: Jim Holmes, Dave Donaldson, Bill Wagner, Josh Holmes, etc. AND, they managed to pull in some heavy weight out-of-state talent such as Bruce Eckel, Neal Ford, and Scott Hanselman. (Last year they paraded in Scott Guthrie...wow. I'll miss his presence at the conference this year. I'm sure there'll be no shortage of greatness this year though...)

So, get yourself registered already! All the cool kids will be there.

My firm, Cardinal Solutions is a Gold Sponsor. If you're nice, I might even share our discount code. ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CODODN: What's New in the ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions: Resources

Thanks for attending my presentation. Resources I referenced: .Net 3.5 Enhancements Training Kit Download Overview of ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions Preview ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions Preview (unrelated) Central Ohio Application Lifecycle Management Group: COALMG Update 4/22/2008 : Props to Dan Hounshell for finding this CODODN video . I'm in there 2-3 times. Nice!

Rollback a Ooops in TFS with TFPT Rollback

Rhut roe, Raggie. You just checked in a merge operation affecting 100's of files in TFS against the wrong branch. Ooops. Well, you can simply roll it back, right? Select the folder in Source Control Explorer and...hey, where's the Rollback? Rollback isn't supported in TFS natively. However, it is supported within the Power Tools leveraging the command-line TFPT.exe utility. It's fairly straightforward to revert back to a previous version--with one caveot. First, download and install the Team Foundation Power Tools 2008 on your workstation. Before proceeding, let's create a workspace dedicated to the rollback. To "true up" the workspace, the rollback operation will peform a Get Latest for every file in your current workspace. This can consume hours (and many GB) with a broad workspace mapping. To work around this, I create a temporary workspace targeted at just the area of source I need to roll back. So let's drill down on our scenario... I'm worki

Get Your Team Foundation Server Hate On!

[Google ranking skyrockets... ;-)] I'm a big fan of TFS/VSTS. However, there are a good pocket of folks who take issue with the way TFS handles or implements a certain feature. Well this is your chance to vent! I'm planning a presentation around the "Top 10 TFS/VSTS Hates and How to Alleviate Them"...or something along those lines. But I need your help. Post a comment below detailing your dislike. If it's legitimate, I'll highlight it in the presentation and [hopefully] provide an alternative, resolution, or work-around. Thanks in advance! Update 7/19/2008: Version Control and Microsoft