Skip to main content

Bonehead: Headlight Replacement

Isn't pride a sin? I think so. Anyway, I take great pride in keeping my 12 year old Honda Accord in working condition. I'm gonna drive that POS until the wheels fall off. Except for a ton of dings and a few quarks, it's actually in good shape. As long as it gets me where I'm going, I'm happy.

A few days ago, my headlight burned out. Ugh. I replaced them once before (I told you, I've had this car for a long, long time) so I figured, "no problem". I went to Advanced Auto, got the right bulb, and scooted home...again proud of myself for only spending $8.

I get home, pop open the hood, move the radiator overflow tank out of the way and get to work. First off, the cap/gasket-like ring is jammed. After a half hour, I get out the serious tools: screwdriver and hammer. That's right...it's wrecking time! Even after bloodying myself, the gasket won't budge. Ok, time to call in the big guns: Lockjaw Pliers! I locked on to the old socket and just started yanking. Yeehaww!

Finally, after some dreadful sounding cracking and breaking, the gasket moves and I get the old
bulb out. Seemingly, nothing is irreparably broken. I bust out the shiny replacement bulb...ugh...not fitting. (I even consulted my owners manual...the shame.) After triple checking the part number and trying every way from Sunday to get this guy in, I give up. 1.5 hours expended--still a pidittle.

At the end of my rope, the following day, I plead mercy with Advanced Auto, "...anything you can think of?" There's a pause on the other end, "Well, sir, I hate to insult your intelligence but perhaps are you attempting to replace the high beam instead of the low beam?" Crap. I'm an idiot. I sheepishly thank him for the advice--knowing for sure that's the issue.

On the way home, I buy a second low beam (don't want to do this again for a while) and a high beam bulb to replace the one I mistakenly murdered with the Lockjaws. Sure enough, the high beam bulb drops right into the hole. All told, it takes me 5 minutes (tops) to replace three bulbs.

Moral of the story: always make sure you're working with the right beam when replacing headlights!

Props to Advanced Auto...thanks for helping me through my bonehead move. BTW, I really like this store--only auto store I'll visit. They came out to the parking lot to test and replace my wife's car battery for her--no extra charge. Nice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CODODN: What's New in the ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions: Resources

Thanks for attending my presentation. Resources I referenced: .Net 3.5 Enhancements Training Kit Download Overview of ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions Preview ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions Preview (unrelated) Central Ohio Application Lifecycle Management Group: COALMG Update 4/22/2008 : Props to Dan Hounshell for finding this CODODN video . I'm in there 2-3 times. Nice!

Rollback a Ooops in TFS with TFPT Rollback

Rhut roe, Raggie. You just checked in a merge operation affecting 100's of files in TFS against the wrong branch. Ooops. Well, you can simply roll it back, right? Select the folder in Source Control Explorer and...hey, where's the Rollback? Rollback isn't supported in TFS natively. However, it is supported within the Power Tools leveraging the command-line TFPT.exe utility. It's fairly straightforward to revert back to a previous version--with one caveot. First, download and install the Team Foundation Power Tools 2008 on your workstation. Before proceeding, let's create a workspace dedicated to the rollback. To "true up" the workspace, the rollback operation will peform a Get Latest for every file in your current workspace. This can consume hours (and many GB) with a broad workspace mapping. To work around this, I create a temporary workspace targeted at just the area of source I need to roll back. So let's drill down on our scenario... I'm worki

Get Your Team Foundation Server Hate On!

[Google ranking skyrockets... ;-)] I'm a big fan of TFS/VSTS. However, there are a good pocket of folks who take issue with the way TFS handles or implements a certain feature. Well this is your chance to vent! I'm planning a presentation around the "Top 10 TFS/VSTS Hates and How to Alleviate Them"...or something along those lines. But I need your help. Post a comment below detailing your dislike. If it's legitimate, I'll highlight it in the presentation and [hopefully] provide an alternative, resolution, or work-around. Thanks in advance! Update 7/19/2008: Version Control and Microsoft